Monday, March 22, 2010

Spalding, get your foot off the boat ...



Here's a little watercolor I did a while ago.  As you can see, I write Tibetan the same way I write English - like drunken four year-old with a broken wrist.  Anyway, the Tibetan is from a text I'm reading by Gyalse Thogme Zangpo called The Thirty-Seven Practices of Bodhisattvas.  The line is the first line from the very first stanza after the dedication; here it is with a rough translation:

དལ་འབྱོར་གྲུ་ཆེན་རྙེད་དཀའ་ཐོབ་དུས་འདིར།།
བདག་གཞན་འཁོར་བའི་མཚོ་ལས་བསྒྲལ་བྱའི་ཕྱིར།།
ཉིན་དང་མཚན་དུ་གཡེལ་བ་མེད་པར་ནི།།
ཉན་སེམས་བསྒོམ་པ་རྒྱལ་སྲས་ལག་ལེན་ཡིན།།

dal 'byor gru chen rnyed dka' thob dus 'dir
bdag gzhan 'khor ba'i mtsho las bsgral bya'i phir
nyin dang mtshan du g.yel ba med par ni
nyan sems bsgom pa rgyal sras lag len yin

That great ship of money and free time is hard to find in this life
In order to save yourself and others from the Ocean of Suffering,
Day and night, incessantly and carefully,
Listen, think, and meditate.  This is the practice of Bodhisattvas.

So there you have it.  On a lighter note, you might enjoy this list of funny boat names.  They're pretty bad, but I liked the "Maid of Plywood" ... 

1 comment:

  1. I like that quotation. I hadn't heard it before, but it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete